There are almost 40,000 producers and 140 processors and packers certified as members across the Bord Bia Quality Assurance Schemes
5.8 million packs of food with the Bord Bia Quality Mark are sold in Ireland each week
Members of the Bord Bia Quality Assurance Scheme are regularly audited by independent auditors
The Irish foods industry supports almost 270,000 jobs
- Thrid most important agricultural industry in Ireland following dairy and beef
- 8,000 people employed across the indsutry, including producers, processors, feed mills and ancillary services.
- There are 150,000 sows in Ireland producing in excess of 3 million pigs annually
- In 2010 Irieland exported 134,000 tonnes or €317 m worth of pigmeat to over 45 nationas worldwide.
- Half of the pigmeat produced in Ireland is consumed on the home market, the remainder is exported
- Irish pigmeat is recognised for its quality and is exported to markets as far afield as Russia, China, Japan, the Unted States and even South Africa
- Ireland accounts for less than 1% of EU production, Germany accounts for over 20%.
- Half of our pigmeat exports go to the UK, 28% to Continential Europe and the remainder to International markets