Peter Duggan, Strategic Information Services, Bord Bia
AHDB has just released TNS household meat purchases data for Great Britain covering the period to the 4th October. The figures show a continued shift by consumers away from lamb and towards pigmeat over the last month.
Beef purchases in the latest 12 week period to the 4th of October were down marginally with a similar drop recorded in both volume and value. Mince sales held up well in this period, accounting for 53% of total beef sales. In the 4 weeks to October purchases of beef slowed by 5% with sales of second quality roasting joints down by 36%. This was counteracted somewhat by a return to growth in the frying/grilling steak category.
The impact of higher average retail lamb prices in the latest quarter and monthly periods to the 4th of October have impacted on sales. In line with the average lamb price increases of 7% and 6% in the last quarter and monthly periods compared to last year, overall expenditure on lamb has fallen by similar levels, with consumers reacting to higher prices by decreasing the volume purchased by 13% in both periods. However, stewing lamb and shoulder roasting joints have performed well over the period.
In the latest 12 week period to the 4th of October, pork consumption was static. However in the last 4 week period, consumption of pigmeat rose by 5% to 13,000 tonnes, largely due to the increased levels of price promotions.