Claudia Saumell, Madrid Office, Bord Bia – Irish Food Board
The Spanish fish and seafood market is not growing at the levels anticipated following the population boom of the 1980’s.
The most elusive consumer is without doubt, households with young children. According to a recent study carried out by Kanter Worldpanel, 83% of the Spanish population consume seafood on a weekly basis, therefore leaving a growth possibility of 17%. Weak consumption growth suggests that the market requires good quality products which are good value but above all attractive. Convenience is another key factor in winning more consumers, especially among the younger population.
Today, 2 out of every 3 new innovations launched in the market have the convenience factor as a key driver. In the seafood sector, the big challenge is to engage young households and the drivers that can increase their consumption are innovation, healthy benefits and convenience.
In terms of innovation, recently, the Spanish company, Marfrío launched a new range of products bearing QR codes (Quick Response Barcodes) which the consumer can access through the use of a Smartphone. With one click, consumers can access specific micro sites, available in various languages and providing product information, healthy recipes and videos as well as the nutritional benefits of fish. This packaging innovation is extremely flexible as it only requires modifying the website and not the physical packaging.
In conclusion, seafood providers can face up to the significant challenge in increasing consumption by engaging young households with a tasty and healthy product with a high level of innovation and convenience.