Pasta with Bacon, Mozzarella and Basil
- 200g smoked bacon, chopped
- 300g tagliatelle, cooked and kept warm
- 1 tablesp. rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, diced
- 25g pinenuts
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of basil leaves, roughly torn
- 1 ball of mozzarella, cut or torn into pieces
In a large saucepan of boiling salted water cook the pasta as per packet instructions. Drain through a colander or sieve reserving a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the bacon and cook for about 5 minutes over a medium heat, until the bacon is crispy. Then add the garlic and red or yellow pepper and cook for another couple of minutes. Stir through the pinenuts and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook for about five minutes.
Combine the tagliatelle with the sauce, half the mozzarella and half the basil. Stir through the lemon rind and season with black pepper. Add the reserved cooking water if you would like a thinner sauce.
Divide between four serving bowls and top with the remaining mozzarella and basil leaves. Serve with a green salad.