- 450g Bacon pieces, diced, or buy a shoulder joint, trim and dice
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4-6 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Sprig of thyme
- 1 can butterbeans, drained
- Black pepper
- 1 tablesp. cream (optional)
- 1-2 tablesp. parsley, chopped
- To Serve: Crusty Bread
Place the bacon in a large pot. Cover with cold water, bring to the boil, then pour off the water. Rinse the bacon and return to the pot. Cover again with cold water and add the onion, leeks, carrots, potatoes, garlic and thyme. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 40 minutes. Stir in the beans, black pepper, cream and parsley and simmer for a further 10-15 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
Serve in deep bowls with crusty bread.
Nutritional Analysis per Serving