Lamb Casserole with Cinnamon and Courgettes
- 750g shoulder of lamb, well trimmed and diced
- 2 tablesp. olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 tablesp. ground cinnamon
- 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 500mls water or stock
- Grated rind and juice of one lemon
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablesp. Worcestershire sauce
- A little salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 courgettes, cut into 2-3cm chunks
- 1 tablesp. fresh mint leaves, chopped
Cherry Tomato, Cucumber and Olive Salad
- 250g cherry tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cucumber, chopped
- 100g Greek olives
- ½ chopped red onion
- 1 tablesp. olive oil
Heat a little oil in a frying pan and brown the lamb in batches. Remove to a saucepan as it cooks. Heat a little more oil in the pan and add the onions. Cook for a couple of minutes until they soften. Add in the garlic and cinnamon and stir. Transfer to the saucepan with the meat, then add in the tomatoes, stock or water, lemon rind, bay leaves, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper. Cover and bring to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 2 hours. Then add in the courgettes and cook for a further 10 minutes. Taste and season. Before serving stir in half the lemon juice and some chopped mint.
While the casserole is cooking steam some peeled potatoes. When they are cooked drizzle over a little melted butter, the remaining lemon juice and chopped mint. Combine the salad ingredients. Season with salt and black pepper.
Serve the casserole with the potatoes and salad.
Potatoes tossed in butter, lemon juice and mint
Nutritional Analysis per Serving