Lamb Kebabs with Easy Aubergine Caviar and Yoghurt and Mint Sauce
- 800 g boneless leg of lamb cut into 2.5 cm cubes, you will need about 30-35 pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- Few sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 red peppers
- 800 g aubergines
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 sprigs of flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Yoghurt and Mint Sauce
- 200 ml thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 - 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 4 sprigs of mint, finely chopped
In a large bowl mix the lamb, oil, garlic, thyme leaves, turmeric, cumin and seasoning. Mix together, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
While it is marinating remove the stalks from the aubergines and prick a few times. Place in a large dish, cover and cook in the microwave on high for 12 minutes. They should be nice and soft. Leave until cool enough to handle.
Meanwhile, mix the yoghurt with the mayonnaise, oil and mint. Season to taste.
Chop the peppers into 2.5 cm chunks.
Cut the aubergines in two and remove the flesh with a spoon. Place in the bowl of a blender; add the oil, lemon juice and parsley. Blend just until you have a smooth creamy mixture. Season to taste.
Make kebabs alternating the lamb and pepper. Grill on all sides or on the barbecue for 5-6 minutes. Serve with the two sauces and steamed new potatoes.
The longer you marinate the meat, the more it will develop. If you have time leave it to marinate for several hours before cooking or even prepare it the day before. Mix from time to time and remove from the fridge 30 minutes before cooking.