Bacon and Blue Cheese Salad
- 225g (8oz) piece of rindless streaky bacon, cut into lardons
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 150g (5oz) mixed baby salad leaves
- 1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced (core discarded)
- 225g (8oz) blue cheese, rind removed
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- crusty French bread, to serve
Fry the bacon lardons in a dry non-stick frying pan until crisp. Remove from the pan and set aside, keeping warm. Add the shallots to the pan and sweat for 2–3 minutes, until softened but not browned, stirring occasionally. Deglaze the pan with the red wine vinegar, then stir in the extra virgin olive oil and mustard. Sprinkle in the parsley and season to taste.
Place the baby salad leaves in a bowl. Pour over the hot dressing and quickly toss to coat.
Just before serving, add the crispy bacon and apple and crumble the blue cheese on top.
Divide between plates and serve with plenty of crusty French bread.