Helpful Advice When Deciding What to Plant
- If you want your beds or borders to look well all year round use:
- A combination of different types of plants; shrubs, herbaceous perennials and bulbs always look well.
- Choose a mixture of plants that will ensure interest in every season from spring right through the summer, autumn and winter
- Plant the tallest plants to the rear of the bed and graduate to the smallest at the front of the bed.
- Plant several of the same plant into groups, particularly the smallest ones, to create the most impact. This works best if you plant groups using odd rather than even numbers of plants.
Plant Summer Bulbs now
Summer flowering bulbs such as lilies should be planted now. Bulbs grow best in soil that is well drained and contains a reasonable amount of organic matter, but they also grow well in pots and containers. Simple and great fun for children to do, and the results will have them hooked for life. The usual rule is to plant bulbs using a trowel, in holes three times deeper than their height, that is, a 15cm hole for bulbs 5cm in height.
Tools needed for planting summer bulbs
- A Garden Fork to loosen the soil if planting in the ground
- A hand trowel – a handy way to plant the bulbs easily at the right depth.