Seedlings Lessons Plans
STRAND - PLANTS
- Variety and characteristics of living things
- Identify common trees and other plants.
- Develop some awareness of plants from wider environments.
- Recognise and describe the parts of some plants - root, leaf, stem, trunk, branch,
- flower, petal etc.
- Recognise that trees are plants.
- Group and sort plants into plants we eat and plants we don't eat.
Processes of life
- Appreciate that plants have essential needs for growth.
- Explore through the growing of seeds, the needs of plants for water and heat.
- Design, make or adapt a suitable container for growing seeds.
- Investigate how plants respond to light.
- Understand that seasonal changes occur in living things.
- Become familiar with the lifecycles of common plants.
STRAND - RECEPTIVENESS TO LANGUAGE
- Listen to a story or description and respond to it.
- Hear, repeat and elaborate words, phrases and sentences modelled by the teacher.
- Developing cognitive abilities through oral language
- Listen to a story or narrative and ask questions about it.
- Focus on descriptive detail and begin to be explicit in relation to people, places, times, colours, processes, events, colour, shape, size etc.
- Developing emotional and imaginative life through oral language
- Listen to, learn and retell a rich variety of stories, rhymes and songs.
- Respond through discussion to stories, rhymes and songs heard and learned.
STRAND - TAKING CARE OF MY BODY
Food and nutrition
- Become aware of the importance of food for growth and development.
- Explore food preferences and their role in a balanced diet.
- Discuss and explore some qualities and categories of food.
- Realise the importance of good hygiene in relation to food preparation.
- Environmental care
- Appreciate the environment and realise that each individual has a community and individual responsibility for protecting and caring for the environment (i.e. in this lesson, the classroom).
STRAND - MAKING CONSTRUCTIONS
- Look at, investigate and talk about spatial arrangements and balance in collections of objects.
- Explore and experiment with the properties and characteristics of materials in making structures.
- Grouping, balancing and building with components that allow free play.
- Discovering the tallest, widest, lowest parts of the arrangement.
STRAND – PAINT AND COLOUR
- Discover colour in the visual environment to help develop sensitivity to colour.
- Discover colour, pattern and rhythm in colourful objects.
- Discover the relationship between how things feel and how they look.
The methodologies used will include:
- Discovery learning
- Teacher guided learning
- Poetry reading
- Talk and discussion
- Interpreting through art (drawing).
- SKILLS DEVELOPMENT
- Skills developed will include:
Working scientifically and imaginatively
Imagining – what is possible in an imaginary world and in the ‘scientific’ world
Questioning, predicting, sorting and classifying, investigating and experimenting, recording and communicating.
- Teacher observation.
- Teacher designed tasks (carrying out, recording results of experiment).
- Oral response in discussion.
Fill in the children’s birthdays and write in the various ‘Special Days’.
- How many seasons are there?
- What are their names?
- The characteristics of each season – what season has most sunlight, is coldest, has Christmas in it, has Halloween in it, has Easter etc.
- What season are we in now?
- What season comes next?
- What season is your birthday in?