- There is fervent enthusiasm for sustainability in UAE among survey participants with a growing focus on healthier food choices in general and sustainability in particular.
- Sustainability is seen as part of a wider healthier lifestyle and better nutrition, as such, issues of human nutrition and quality are to the fore. Linked to this is a greater intention than in other markets to eat more plant-based foods.
- Interestingly, and uniquely to the region, responsible water usage is important. Communicating the impact of your product on water quality will resonate strongly in UAE.
- UAE consumers are influenced by human health aspects of sustainability in particular when it comes to food and drink. While animal and planetary health are lower priorities, they do have more niche interest. Linking health to sustainability resonates very strongly.
Of UAE consumers have made an effort to limit their consumption of artificial additives in the last 12 months, significantly higher than the global average
Say eating more plant-based foods will become more important to them in the next 3 years, well above the global average
57% of consumers say
the naturalness of the product influences their grocery choices
.....the highest of all markets
- Top tier influences on beef choices are quality assurance and naturalness credentials, with organic and grass-fed also showing strong potential to influence choice. In contrast with most other markets, local sourcing is less important. The same profile emerges for dairy but grass-fed is less relevant.
- For seafood, organic is of higher influence than we see elsewhere, but nutrition and quality assurance are critical. “Wild” and MSC Certification are relatively less important in this market.
Of UAE beef consumers are willing to pay a premium for quality assured beef, ahead of all other attributes
The graphs display which sustainability attributes consumers find most appealing and are most willing to pay a premium for in the priority categories. The horizontal axis is based on the overall appeal of this sustainability measure in this sector, the vertical axis shows the extent to which people would be willing to pay more for this benefit.
Hover over each datapoint for more information and navigate to other categories by clicking the right or left arrow on the navigation bar below each graph.